Circle Harmony is an applied music theory curriculum designed to introduce core concepts of key relations and basic harmony around the circle of fifths. The approach focuses on exploring scales, fifth relations and primary chords through playing as well as writing. Lesson slides are designed in a clear and visually attractive way and can be used as teaching guides or given to students as handouts.
The Circle Harmony Workbook is designed to accompany Circle Harmony 1, which works on major and relative minor scales and primary chords around the circle of fifths, and Circle Harmony 2, which works in more detail on natural, harmonic and melodic minor scales and chords around the circle of fifths. It is intended to provide plenty of practice writing scales and chords covered in the curriculum.
The Circle Harmony Workboook is downloadable as a 158-page ebook and is divided into eight parts:
- Part 1: Sharp Key Signatures - Major & Minor Scales
- Part 2: Flat Key Signatures - Major & Minor Scales
- Part 3: Circle of Fifths
- Part 4: Grade 1 Scales and Chords
- Part 5: Grade 2 Scales and Chords
- Part 6: Grade 3 Scales and Chords
- Part 7: Grade 4 Scales and Chords
- Part 8: Grade 5 Scales and Chords
- Appendix: Sharp Key Signatures - Major & Minor Scales and Their Key Signatures
- Appendix: Flat Key Signatures - Major & Minor Scales and Their Key Signatures
Parts 1 and 2 work systematically around the circle of fifths. Part 3 provides two blank circle of fifths for students to fill in. Parts 4 through 8 drill the scales and chords required for each grade (grades 1-5) of the ABRSM syllabus. The Appendices include all major and minor scales and their key signatures.
The Circle Harmony curriculum and workbooks are created by the School of Music Theory. You can read more about the School of Music Theory by going to: https://www.schoolofmusictheory.com/.